Wednesday, July 22, 2009

How Your Dog Talks to You

After being with my owners for over 10 years, they have learned to understand my language, and I understand theirs. You have to really love your dog to bother to understand them, I know many who have dogs that are just left outside all day, or left alone all day while owners are at work, that's not really having a relationship with your dog...maybe you don't agree, but I'm a dog, and I know I don't like being left alone all the time.

Kelly Marshall shares some nice tips on "What Dog Sounds Mean" that will help you understand your dog better:
When your dog softly whimpers that means: I’m hurt! I'm frightened. The average human is most likely to hear this at the vet, when a dog is suffering, or when an obedient dog is in a strange location that appears intimidating. This is really a mewing sound that young dogs make when they feel cold, hungry, or troubled.

Loud, long drawn out whining sounds mean: Please give me something . . . or I want something ... A puppy usually uses this sound when he’s waiting for his meal, or for the leash to be put on, or when they are trying to get his master s attention, etc.

When a dog sighs accompanied by a dog's lying down with his head on his forepaws, can have two meanings, depending on the context and his facial expressions. With his eyelids half open, this is a sign of enjoyment, which means I am happy and am going to relax. With eyes wide open, this is a sign of dissatisfaction when something expected has not transpired, this means: I quit!

When a dog is baying: This is the sound of hounds during a hunt. It is translated as Follow me this way! Let us attack him! or All together now!

When a dog yip howls this is really more of a yip yip yip howl, with the final howl quite drawn out. It basically means I am very lonely I feel deserted! or Where is everybody?

When a dog howls: I’m over here! This is my space! or I hear you out there! A confident dog will howl just to announce where he is. Howling also often happens in response to a yip howl from another canine. It has a more echoing sound to the human ear than does the yip howl, which is often called mournful.

When a dog moans: ar owl wowl wowl . . . over a short period of time. It is a sound of impulsive pleasure and excitement that means I am flabbergasted! or Let’s play! A dog usually moans when something he anticipates something exciting to happen.

When a dog is panting: Let us go now! This means he is very excited. [or if I can butt in here, I pant when I'm hot, or when I'm afraid and worn out from worrying.]

Pets can also learn vocalizations. For example, the bark that dogs often give to the command speak sounds are very different from an impulsive bark. The same can be said for the bark that police dogs are taught. Many dogs can be taught certain sounds for certain settings, from simple barks, moans, or play growls to more complicated sounds that may sound like yodels.

Other Dog Bytes:

To learn more about your hound and what it may be trying to tell you like what digging is all about right in the middle of the back yard, head to helpful resources on the web and locally. You can find plenty of free pet tips, for example, on pet websites – like those at Squidoo, MySpace and Hubpages under “dogs” searches in each place.

Or check with your local librarian to order a bookstack on the topic, available for pickup later on in the week for studying back at your home.

Author Resource:-> Article by Kelly Marshall from http://www.ohmydogsupplies.com/dog-supplies/dog-carriers Oh My Dog Supplies - the top place to buy http://www.ohmydogsupplies.com/dog-supplies/dog-beds dog beds online

No comments:

Post a Comment